Learn Useful Phrasal Verbs with UP in English with Meaning and Examples. My computer’s ACTING UP; I think I might have a virus. The two or three words that make up a phrasal verb form a short "phrase" - which is why we call them "phrasal verbs". Some examples of phrasal verbs with the verb “GET” are “get at”, “get in”, “get out”, “get off”, “get away”, “get over”, “get back”… and they ALL have different meanings! A phrasal verb is a verb like pick up, turn on or get on with. English Grammar. E.g. It’s easier than you think—you probably already know a number of phrasal verbs. With lots of corrections gratefully received from: Please send any comments or suggestions to Contents Look at these examples: © 1997-2020 EnglishClub.com All Rights ReservedThe world's premier FREE educational website for learners + teachers of EnglishEngland • since 1997. It is a good idea to write "something/somebody" in your vocabulary book when you learn a new prepositional verb, like this: It is a good idea to write "something/somebody" in your vocabulary book when you learn a new phrasal-prepositional verb, like this: search for and find information in a reference book. Look is a verb. Non-separable Phrasal Verbs. Act out: Perform something with actions and gestures.. Note that the last one is impossible: This tells you if the verb needs a direct object (and where to place it). Go along To continue to happen or to develop He is under the radar but he is going along well. I turned it off. Phrasal verbs are usually two words long, but they sometimes consist of three words. I turned the light off. The phrasal verb “count on” means you can trust someone to provide the help or support you need. Examples of Phrasal Verbs Example 1: When I need help with my homework, I can always count on my dad. Moscow: Russki Yazyk 1988. Others include make up, clean up, speak up, call up, follow up, pick up, set up, come up, wind up, put up, warm up, and end up . We often use these words (particles) with verbs of movements. When the object of the following phrasal verb is a pronoun (it / them / me / you / him / her / us), the two parts of the phrasal verb must be separated: Phrasal verbs work by changing the verb’s meaning based on the preposition that follows them. The structure of a phrasal-prepositional verb is: Look at these examples of phrasal-prepositional verbs: Because phrasal-prepositional verbs end with a preposition, there is always a direct object. Phrasal Verbs. Get around To travel to different places I will get around from town to town. Impression 1998. You have to do this paint job over. 1. The two or three words that make up a phrasal verb form a short "phrase" - which is why we call them "phrasal verbs". And, like prepositional verbs, phrasal-prepositional verbs cannot be separated. 1. For example: But often these words (on / off / up / down etc.) I turned off the light. We must separate the two parts of the verb and insert the pronoun. E.g. Yes, you will find that our list of phrasal verbs includes all the most common phrasal verbs in English. Act up: Behave badly or strangely. You can see that there are three types of phrasal verb formed from a single-word verb: The structure of this type of phrasal verb is: Look at these examples of transitive and intransitive:: When this type of phrasal verb has a direct object, we can usually separate the two parts. Sometimes a multi-word verb has an object. You should treat each phrasal verb as a separate verb, and learn it like any other verb. The verb “count” usually means to determine the total number of a collection of items. I only took it up recently. We cannot say "look the baby after": This type of phrasal verb is also called a "phrasal-prepositional verb". Separable phrasal verbs.