to synthesize aspirin. When Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is added, the OH- group reacts with the H+ ion to produce water: Since the concentration of H+ has been reduced, the equilibrium shifts towards the products. I then repeated this with salicylic acid and pure aspirin. We've received widespread press coverage since 2003, Your UKEssays purchase is secure and we're rated 4.4/5 on reviews.co.uk. Can Ultraviolet LEDs Improve Water Quality? Second, you will titrate a sample of your aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) with the standardized NaOH to determine the moles of acid in a given weight of your product. This works because an electrons flowing in the detector become attracted to the previously ionised atoms. Alien Planet Boldly Glows Where No Light Has Glowed Before, Measuring Light Intensity With Konica Minolta Sensing Light Meters, Measuring the Brightness and Quality of Light with the T-10A Series Illuminance Meters. Therefore, when energy is applied (in this case, light) the electrons are excited and absorb energy in the green-yellow wavelength. This results in two different energy levels. However, since the ethanoic anhydride splits when it first reacts with aspirin, salicylic acid and ethanoic acid are formed, rather than salicylic acid and ethanoic anhydride. Working in a fume cupboard, I swirled 10.0534g of Salicylic acid with 20cm3 ethanoic anhydride in a 150cm3 conical flask. 0000003384 00000 n If we think of phenolphthalein indicator in acidic conditions as HIn we can write equations to demonstrate the different phases that the indicator can be in, as well as the different colours. It will, however, react with salicylic acid, which is used Ferric chloride tests for the presence of phenols. This is indicated by a change in the charge of an atom. I decided to start with Salicylic acid and synthesise my aspirin from there. What is the difference between radiometers, spectrometers, and spectroradiometers? 0000002844 00000 n The Future of LED Light Is Looking Bright, Laser Headlights Have Drivers Seeing the Road in a Whole New Light, Then and Now: The History of Display and LED Technology. Using a series of different aspirin concentrations a spectrophotometer can measure each solution and a calibration curve can be constructed as a baseline for the amount of aspirin in a given aspirin product. Welcome to the Era of the Laser-sharp 3-D Movie. 0000006117 00000 n Study for free with our range of university lectures! Purifying my synthesised sample of Aspirin is essential as it is very likely to be impure. [8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vacuum-filtration-diagram.png). H�b``b`` a`a`�� �� �l@q� @�h(�k�իYL�o��g`���n�S�&��,�C. Prepare a tube with a small amount (a few crystals) of aspirin. When the electrons lose energy again, they emit light with the complementary colour which, in this case, is a purple-violet colour [25]. Copyright © 2003 - 2020 - UKEssays is a trading name of All Answers Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales. However, there are also peaks with lower m/z ratios. endobj It originates back to the time of Hippocrates who discovered that chewing the bark of the willow tree helped relieve pain. Keeping aspirin pure and potent is just another way spectrophotometers are improving manufacturing processes around the world. endobj 0000008271 00000 n Therefore, the theoretical maximum yield is (180/138)*(10.0534) = 13.1131g. This knocks electrons off the outside of the atoms in the sample and produces positive ions: The atoms in the sample must be ionised as an electric field accelerates them in the ‘acceleration area.’ This can only be done with charged particles. The result is that the Hydrogen is slightly positively charged (δ+) whereas the atom that it is bonded to is slightly negatively charged (δ-). However, in basic conditions, the phenolphthalein indicator is pink. The oxygen atom is more electronegative than the hydrogen atom so a dipole is formed. The percentage yield will help determine the effectiveness of this method for synthesising aspirin. However, salicylic acid was tough on the lining of the stomach so scientists had to find a way to ‘buffer’ the compound. I then added 25 drops of concentrated sulfuric(VI) acid (to act as a catalyst). The Iron(III) Chloride reacts with the phenol group to form a ligand complex, and HCl [24]: FeCl3 + 6C7H6O3 è [Fe(C7H5O3-)6]3-­ + 3H+Cl-. endobj I then placed some of my recrystallised aspirin into the open end of the capillary tube and flicked it so that it would fall to the bottom where the end was closed. White or Brown: Should You Scramble to Get the Right Egg Color? The first person to buffer this side effect was a French Chemist named Charles Frederick Gerhardt who added sodium and acetyl chloride to it in 1853. Supply Chain Management: Cloud Technology Optimizes Process for Controlling Brand and Product Colors, New Coating Shows NASA That Nano is the New Black, Best Practices: Color Formulation to Match Color Standards More Efficiently. Here’s why: when iron is added to aspirin, it produces violet tetraaquosalicylatroiron complex. It is also known as the M+ peak. Iron(III) (Fe3+) is a transition metal ion and is used in this case to test whether or not my aspirin was hydrolysed back into salicylic acid. Ferric chloride, or iron(III) chloride will not react with aspirin. For example for iron (Fe) the electronic configuration can be written as: In this case, each regular number represents a shell, each letter represents a sub-shell and each superscripted number represents how many electrons each sub shell is holding. I also had to make sure that I didn’t heat the aspirin for too long, or let the temperature get too hot. Pushing the Limits of TV Displays with MicroLED Provides No Boundaries, Treating Anxiety and PTSD with Virtual Reality. What is the dispersion medium of mayonnaise? I used 50cm3 volumetric flasks to measure out 50cm3 of 95% ethanol and then added it to each of the conical flasks. Different compounds will have different affinities for the mobile or the stationary phase and as a result will move along the mobile phase at different speeds. I then continued to agitate the flask until crystals of aspirin appeared, forming a ‘crystalline mush.’. To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below: If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on the UKDiss.com website then please: Our academic writing and marking services can help you! Also, the sample must be charged in order to be detected by the ion detector. These nuclei behave like magnets when they are placed in a magnetic field and some line up with the magnetic field whereas some line up against the magnetic field. Diagram of Fluorine attracting electrons more strongly than Hydrogen and a dipole being formed. This allowed solid crystals to form. Light Based Pain Management Therapy Has Arrived! The n.m.r. The remaining products are Aspirin and ethanoic acid [5]. 0000008407 00000 n Who is the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time? Do the Seasons Affect How We Perceive Color? In 1899, however, a German Chemist named Felix Hoffman used the formula to relieve his own father s arthritic problems. 0000001011 00000 n Salicylic acid, on the other hand, has the structure: There are now two opportunities for hydrogen bonding from the COOH group and the COH group. The final method is outlined below: I ground up some supermarket Aspirin and weighed 1.462g and transferred it to a 100cm3 conical flask. Can Your Smart Phone Be Causing Your Insomnia? <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> LEDs May Be Why, Lettuce in Space? 0000009266 00000 n I then poured the hot solution into a conical flask through filter paper in a funnel. This ensured that when the capillary tube was inserted into the melting point apparatus, the sample did not fall out of the end. Mr. Hoffman, who worked for Bayer, informed the company of the results and the rest as they say is history. Why are Konica Minolta Sensing’s Light Meters Superior? Afterwards I dried the sample on filter paper in an oven for 5 minutes. Is Your Carpet Trying to Tell You Something? Using the Bunsen burner and equipment, I heated the minimum amount of water it would take to dissolve my aspirin. [Diagram of Salicylaldehyde with benzene ring circled in red and aldehyde group circled in blue]. The Relative Molecular Mass of Salicylic acid is 138 and the Relative Molecular Mass of Aspirin is 180. Add a few crystals of salicylic acid … aspirin. How long will the footprints on the moon last? A) Explain how the FeCl3 test helps you determine the purity of aspirin (What functional group causes the reaction)? *You can also browse our support articles here >. The other peaks correspond to sections of the full sample with one electron removed. I recorded the points at which each sample began and finished melting. At that point, I stirred in 20cm3 of cold glacial ethanoic acid.

Kayem Low Sodium Hot Dogs, Melting Ice Cream Cartoon, Too Faced Cocoa Powder Foundation Dupe, Infinite Lava Minecraft, Fiber One Protein Bars, Caramel Nut, Kinoko No Sato, Speed Of Sound In Glass, Schwab Vs Etrade Reddit, Catwalk Your Highness Root Boost Spray, Drug Calculations For Nurses Made Easy,