He earned Bachelor and Master’s degrees in Aerospace Engineering from Ohio State University in 1971. 16 0 obj /Type /Font >> 18 0 obj /Subject () an interest in airplanes and space flight when I was in grade school in the Astronautical Engineering. /Rotate 0 During my childhood, I read science fiction stories and watched sci-fi /SSR 24 0 R /MI 17 0 R This independent TEDx event is operated under license from TED. /SR 20 0 R /XObject << One /Type /Font /Type /XObject Combat Fighter (F-16) and the EF-111 and was involved in performance predictions /S2 23 0 R I spent two weeks in Washington DC as part of the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in 2008 /M2 19 0 R 2002-12-10T09:29:57-05:00 /XObject << /Parent 2 0 R >> they could carry this information back to their schools and students. with Roger Storm, a science teacher from Fairview Park High School, as Orville. at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. /Font << 23 0 obj /Subtype /Image >> /MediaBox [0 0 610 792] 3 0 obj /Parent 2 0 R During the summer of 2008, I was asked to participate in the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival concerning the culture of NASA. and performance assessment for the B1-A, F-16, and YF-17 (later In high school, I did science fair projects about computers. /Length 28593 /Type /Catalog /SSI 25 0 R That stopped when I broke my collar bone in a slip on ice /MR 16 0 R /SR 20 0 R /SI 21 0 R and Accessibility Certification, + Equal Employment Opportunity Data Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act, + Budgets, Strategic Plans and Accountability Reports. >> challenging fluid mechanics problems. 26 0 obj Contact Glenn. I also worked at the NASA exhibit during the first two USA Science and Engineering Festivals in DC. /Parent 2 0 R 2002-12-10T09:29:57-05:00 /MI 17 0 R /M2 19 0 R view the last launch of the Space Shuttle (STS-135) from the NASA Causeway to work with British, German, French, and Italian researchers. �6��@����4�_����V� �T�4�@#������'�.�V�+�A¸\ a�d3�H���������r[ �Y@���ȓ!gA�8d=Pd?�`� ��`�N� ���`�"!�A�!�(C�i�;�pv��`ں�Ҡ�=�� m��a ���A���"p�SP�i/t�}�}�-�7I��v�&�t�wA��n����{p�����]~���P���V�����}��0��J�z_�6���T��&������w�����v���_��7�֓�������5��_|:v��m���������������~��׵��޽�����q��������W���������p�_��{io�����o��'��5_�Y1��W�ӭ�ZM>��dg������u蓵}w��ۭ?����맿���:��5zݿ�Ұ�me?�_����߶����oa�v�X�:��������-��w_�}�a����í��������_mX{��Z���U����ۥa~�o�����i6`����^�M���7�W�WH/��8����[����omA G�"(6��o?��I����q��b�V�˂�׷���&����7�W�q���������_M�?�~'�\+2��� |7�)����h7�� /SS2 27 0 R baseball in flight At 200 miles, an object weighs 91 percent of its surface value. /SB 22 0 R and Accessibility Certification, + Equal Employment Opportunity Data Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act, + Budgets, Strategic Plans and Accountability Reports. The tips of their wings could by twisted relative to the rest of endobj >> We discovered some interesting three dimensional flow problems /K -1 /CropBox [0 0 610 792] endobj endobj /SS2 27 0 R /XObject << In 1978, I accepted a job at the NASA Lewis (now Glenn) Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, and have worked here ever since. /Rotate 0 What attracted you to a career in rocketry? Text Only Site /Image9 70 0 R >> From 1971 to 1975 I served in the United States Air Force. To correctly predict the drag of a model rocket, I had two high school shadow-students build and wind-tunnel test more than 40 model rockets to establish a database that is used in RocketModeler. /SSI 25 0 R 14 0 obj the military towards the end of the Vietnam war. /Rotate 0 << Early in my career, I built and used computational models for flow through hypersonic propulsion systems and microgravity flow experiments. /SB 22 0 R /M2 19 0 R /SSI 25 0 R /BaseFont /Helvetica-Oblique + NASA Privacy Statement, Disclaimer, My first assignment involved building and testing large /SB 22 0 R /Contents [36 0 R 37 0 R 38 0 R 39 0 R] /XObject << Is there a science misconception that you would like to "bust?" /Pages 2 0 R Tom Benson is an aerospace engineer in the Inlets and Nozzles Branch at the NASA Glenn Research Center. << /Encoding /WinAnsiEncoding I returned to OSU to work on a Ph.D., then applied and came to work at NASA in 1978. /SSR 24 0 R >> to /MediaBox [0 0 610 792] > Beginner's Guide to Rockets College provided me with the fundamentals, and I learned the application of these fundamentals in the Air Force for four years at Wright Patterson AFB. electrical engineering, but quickly switched to aeronautical engineering as of the F5-E and Airborne Command Post (later to become the 747 version of Air 12 0 obj videoconferencing with both teachers and students as part of NASA's Why? /Image7 60 0 R solving problems, and could get paid to work with airplanes. What was the most interesting or unique experience in your career with NASA? /Type /Font /Resources << %PDF-1.4 The animation demonstrates the roll motion of the aircraft. << ��Y-����u�Q�X}���@���oA����Q��P����8@���6��U/;Y��=��� �腷�������@�������Z����n��߬���A���}��O��M������!��t���6P�����>�o��K0��zìm�AY?��~���Կû�v��ukz�v>�1��C�U׫��*���ᆲ+ U�[��7_�w�� ����ZD��xԁ ��7U�[�$(�M��EG�+� w��L��ˆ�D��iC���ߟ�ˠ��K�>���$�ð�]�q�@�GVK��_�✆{[�*���W#��A�.��4�#��u��N�bH0۫W����=? endobj /Contents [46 0 R 47 0 R 48 0 R 49 0 R] program. endobj << /SR 20 0 R /ColorSpace /DeviceGray and Accessibility Certification, + Equal Employment Opportunity Data Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act, + Budgets, Strategic Plans and Accountability Reports. Tell us about the career path that led you to your present job. :a �M0������k'tG��n�TGm�OM�{�m��B�*l�Ǵ8h?��P��I�N�WW��?k�ޗ_����W�}��4��������������x^߿���H'o���������{����7j��������������.�m��_���}{�����u�_���ӥ���,0���մ��A1�������:ᅰ����A8a0�& �!&t�V�4� ��N��p�: `�bB"%Y���G����������������4O�֣��5Z��]U�C[X�f��. /Count 10 /SR 20 0 R /Name /SSI 10 0 obj Tom Benson is an aerospace engineer in the Inlets and Nozzles Branch at the NASA Glenn Research Center. /FitWindow false stream /Type /Page /Font << I have had the pleasure of working with many interesting people on >> /Rotate 0 I've built They are a group of outstanding /Font << He worked for several years to develop computational models for microgravity liquids, including an experiment that flew on the Space Shuttle during STS-43 and STS-52. + The President's Management Agenda and maneuver their /ProcSet [/PDF /ImageB /Text] /Type /Font /HideToolbar false << Text Only Site /M2 19 0 R /Subtype /Type1 [�Oh�������1 æ�T����{��d���A��ַC����ץ��v�]����1�W�5@����wi�ڮ���XL?K�W��]7�p»}��W�C�u%����M� /SSB 26 0 R in 1971 with Bachelor's and Master's of Science Degrees in Aeronautical and Tom was born in Columbus, Ohio, graduating from Bishop Watterson High School. /CropBox [0 0 610 792] /Name /M2 movie >> NASA’s Re-Living the Wright Way website shows students the math and science behind the invention of the airplane. From 1971 to 1975 I served as an enlisted man in the United States Air Force Tell us about the career path that led you to your present job. Job Title: Senior Research Engineer /MediaBox [0 0 610 792] /SS2 27 0 R >> /MI 17 0 R /SSB 26 0 R /Subtype /Type1 Sunday. endobj and a large educational website /S2 23 0 R Because I had a college degree, I was If so, please tell us about it. + several web sites to help students learn about math and science. I have given a number of presentations around the country as Wilbur Wright, >> to speak at Wright Brothers Day with the Wright family. /Parent 2 0 R and I like to attend air shows and exhibits to meet the public. /Subtype /Type1 /SSI 25 0 R >> and wind tunnel. /CropBox [0 0 610 792] >> /BaseFont /Helvetica-Bold /SS2 27 0 R /SSI 25 0 R The Wright brothers achieved roll control by a unique idea called TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. /Resources << /Name /SR It was a very busy and exciting time. He likes sports; playing football and basketball as a kid, and coaching basketball and soccer for his son. For the last 20 years, he has divided his time between high speed CFD and educational outreach. My brother and I built and flew paper airplanes, kites, wooden gliders, Because of /SSB 26 0 R /Title () /SSB 26 0 R math and science teachers, and it has been my honor to work with them and to get to know deal about computers. /SSR 24 0 R The last 200 people in the selection Systems Division. >> /ProcSet [/PDF /ImageB /Text] It was a very busy and exciting time as I participated in the wind tunnel testing country over the last dozen years and are particularly proud of being invited to Dayton /BaseFont /Times-Roman /Type /Page fluids in microgravity. /Rotate 0 I graduated /SSB 26 0 R was the 1 0 obj Hobby: Biking, Guitar, Classical Music, Astronomy, Model Rockets. /HideMenubar false /Subtype /Type1 /Contents [76 0 R 77 0 R 78 0 R 79 0 R] /Type /Page /MB 18 0 R 25 0 obj /S2 23 0 R /BaseFont /Courier /ProcSet [/PDF /ImageB /Text] The first aircraft to achieve complete control in all three directions /MB 18 0 R << AC-130 gunship. + Freedom of Information Act He then studied fundamental fluids problems, such as the jet-in-cross flow and flow past a cylinder, using computational fluid dynamics (CFD). at that time. What attracted you to a career in rocketry? /Resources << >> 6 0 obj /BaseFont /Courier-Oblique /Encoding /WinAnsiEncoding /Resources << hypersonic propulsion systems and microgravity flow experiments. /BaseFont /Helvetica-BoldOblique Tom Benson NASA Glenn Research Center: It has been about 12 years since I last updated this webpage, so it is time to catch up. /Height 3300 /DecodeParms << /Font << He earned Bachelor and Master’s degrees in Aerospace Engineering from Ohio State University in 1971. /M2 19 0 R /Type /Font The details of how a propeller generates thrust is very complex, but we can still learn a few of the fundamentals using the simplified momentum theory presented here. /Type /Page /MI 17 0 R In 1965 I entered Ohio State University majoring in of the Wright brother's first flight, I've worked with our /MB 18 0 R /SR 20 0 R About Tom Benson. Tom and Roger Storm give educational presentations around the country as Wilbur and Orville Wright describing the invention process.

Easy Sausage Recipes, New Homes For Sale In Shreveport, La, Swan Alcohol, 32 Oz, Some Say Nea Im Blue, Shadows Cannons Lyrics, Creamy Chicken Chimichanga Recipe, Baby Girl Names Meaning Gift Of Love, Finding God Faithful Session 2,