You have a great eye!! A Business dream come true. The mirror is set into tall wooden frames with a large section of painted or carved sculptural decoration at the top. There’s no limit to what you can use to embellish your “Trumeau”. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Going to do one for my granddaughter. I hope you are enjoying your trip to the Gulf Coast! We show how to make them HERE. Not sure if this was mentioned ( if so, excuse me) . Thanks for the steps. I should have known this was on your to do list. Can’t wait to see the new French desk. Yours is so great, but I can’t tell what color it is ,would love to have the name . Then came the fun part….layering the other colors. Thanks for your help and for sharing all of your beautiful makeovers! The introduction of glass into these wooden elements began in the early 17th and 18th century. Your email address will not be published. Join me as I transform a vintage home with french style, one room at a time! Cindy your mirror is fabulous!! Would also love to know about the dresser it’s on. Sights, Events & Special Interests of France. Thank you for the beautiful idea….have a blessed day. Read More…. One question though – did you miter the The crown molding on the top to wrap around the sides? Thank you so much, Kim! to Mobile Al! It would look great in my living room. Follow along on Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for more fabulous ideas! Yay! It takes its name from the French word “trumeau”, which designates the space between windows. Once everything was dry, I used Rub n Buff in Gold Leaf and gilded the moulding, frame, and embellishments. Rachel thank you for posting this. Absolutely stunning Trumeau mirror, I’m definitely going to try this, so beautiful and doable. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. These old decor pieces date the 1950’s, are made of a hard plastic and can often be found in thrift stores or flea markets quite easily. Unfortunately my pocketbook isn’t. Many Blessings. Have you swooned over a French Trumeau mirror and then nearly passed out at the price tag? If you’ve not made your own mouldings before, it’s quite easy. This technique was mostly seen in the more affluent homes due to the cost of glass. . I hope this helps! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thank you for sharing. . Love your posts and ideas! Meet the Managers of our three shops - Crown and Colony, Aubergine and RF Antiques. The silvering on the mirror had become very timeworn over the last century and it had resulted in a very smoky look which I loved. You said the base was a MDF board, the top has a crown moulding what have you put on the other 3 sides of the thr MDF? Love this mirror. Just gorgeous, Rachel. I hope you enjoyed seeing this DIY French trumeau mirror! I would love for you to link this up to my Winter Blues Wednesday link party going on right now. . Gallery. Hi Cindy, woweeee your mirror turned out simply gorgeous my friend…you really have out done yourself….the moldings and appliqués are just stunning, I’m sooo looking forward to viewing your beautiful french desk in your beautiful office……TFS….. Once again you knocked it out of the park!! You have such a classy style. Once everything was glued in place, I painted everything in a base coat of Pure & Original chalk based paint in the color Tin Kettle. Trumeau of the main portal of Saint Martin's Church, Arlon. However, “I” can’t wait to visit this sweet Seeing your awesome Trumeau Mirror project I feel this will make me happy again and have a beautiful mirror that I made! I am sharing this on Pinterest. Hope you enjoy making one. Looking forward to the painting process. And I can’t tell you how many ideas I have swirling around in my head for another one! How gorgeous is that! It depicts a bird and flowers on a branch. The bird wall decor wasn’t quite substantial enough so I added a bit more by creating a laurel wreath and swags with molds and paper clay. 1. I’ve been wanting to make one for a while, so glad I saw this post! All of this can be purchased from a home improvement store. Jann, the bird is vintage from a local antique mall! Did you have the piece laying flat when you were spritz -ing? Displaying one of these iconic French beauties will elevate any room that it’s in, and it will undoubtedly be the star. I’m so glad you like it, Sandra! The result that I was trying to achieve was a faded, timeworn look. You make it look so fabulously antique! Petite French Chairs and Living Room Progress, A Storied Piece and Pure & Original Paint, Transforming Furniture with Mouldings | Evelyn’s Dresser, A French Chair, A Grain Sack, and A Stencil, A French Settee and Grain Sack Scraps | Breakfast Room Changes, How to Create Your Own Grain Sack with Drop Cloths, French Country Fridays ~ White Sofas, Tablescapes, and More! That made it easier to get a clean edge on it. I’m sharing on my FB page today and pinned like mad. All projects are attempted at the reader’s own risk. However, use your imagination! The color and how to achieve that look. I wanted the final result to be a pale blue, so on top of Tin Kettle, I alternated using the colors, Lagoon Water and Sea Salt, spritzing with water as I went to get a mottled finish. Thanks for this great DIY project! Rachel this is beautiful, you did a great job on it. Did you end up doing a tutorial on how you painted it? Use construction adhesive to attach your mirror. I know this was posted a while back, but please tell how you apply the antique glaze to get the shadow effect. You beat me too it I’ll have to try your plans. The lower half or two-thirds of the frame would contain the mirror and the upper portion was either decorated with ornate gilding, or showcased an oil on canvas hand-painted scene. Ha! (Seems like that would take practice!) 2. You can be proud if your custom made one! I adore this project. I’m so glad you found it and that you think it’s helpful! So I still cut it at 45 degrees (giving it the crown look), but I didn’t add side pieces on the top. As that resource availability changed, glass was incorporated into the wood. How to build a trumeau mirror: 1. The bottom of the wooden framing was usually where the mirror was placed so a candle could be set in front to reflect light in dimly lit rooms. You can display it in so many different rooms. And as you know, I have a thing for French design. SWOON! The mirror is set into tall wooden frames with a large section of painted or carved sculptural decoration at the top. gorgeous project Rachel! After these layers dried, I used my homemade glaze to add a bit of antiquing and shadowing. Crown and Colony Antiques Defines France! I just love it!! You make it look so simple! Thank you, Sandra! Did you enjoy that? It turned out exactly the way I envisioned. . Do you brush it on and lightly wipe it off? Originating in France during the 18th century, the first original trumeaus were set in wood paneling – or what the French call boiserie (prounounced –  bwahzer-EE). This is one of those projects I’ve had in my mind’s eye for a couple of years… even since I found an old mirror in our attic. Thanks for the How To. Now before I give you the step-by-step instructions, I must first apologize for the funny lighting in these photos. Rachel!!! I love this DIY! It takes its name from the French word “trumeau”, which designates the space between windows. And a smaller one in the bathroom would be gorgeous! But, you may wonder – what are these unusual mirrors and where did they originate? The wall color is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray! xx. I’m so glad to hear it, Juju! I will have to keep an eye out for an old mirror. Thank you!! Getting ready to redo our bedroom. Hi Cindy . 4. Welcome! I’ve been thinking about doing this for awhile as well:) This is so awesome, it’s beautiful:) You did a fab job! 3. It was so easy to make! decorative wall mirror. Your housing ideas are truly inspirational. Unfortunately, the price tag can be pretty steep for the true antique Trumeau mirrors, usually priced in the thousands of dollars.

Razer Wolverine Tournament Edition Cable, Ice Cream Technology Conference, Cheap Office Furniture, Dub Meaning In Marathi, Under The Sea Cake, Td Ameritrade Margin Rates Per Day, Pillsbury Vanilla Cake Mix, Healthy Water Flavoring Packets,